Sunday, April 27, 2008

Brown County and K201


At least this didn't happen saturday, but it coulda... Has happened before


Felt like I needed this much feed on Saturday......




Well this weekend was the Brown County Road Race. SUCKED.

This was the home of the 1987 PanAm Games. And I can see why.

This course was mega killer.

Jenna Johnson and I rolled outta here at about 10 am and got there at 10:30. We were kinda upset that we had to pay park entrance fees - MEGA GAY! First of all, Jenna is a chick, and second we were racing. We shoulda been able cop that entry fee and just go straight to race parking. But whatever. The DNR guy had a DNR hat on and he definitely looked like he was fitted for a DNR order at the hospital. (Do not resuscitate). He looked deathly

Any way, rolled up and registered. $40 Bucks to get in this race. Really 40 bucks? that's ridiculous, for a non superweek-style race. Anyway, kinda chilled out, hung with all the guys - it was cool practically knowing everyone in the race. It's totally different than from in Illinois - where you may see a few guys you train with at the races, but you see tons of other guys that you don't know from other teams but will eventually get to know by the end of the season.

But anyway, suited up and hit the tarmac for some warming up. Did a lap, all five miles of it and about died on just one lap. I would say of the 5 miles, 1.5 were straight up climbing or ascending. And the other 3.5 were either flat or mad descent.

Anyway, the race opened up, small field, little under 30. But whatever, it was a tough race. On the first lap, the field strung out on the first climb. and the second lap, I had gotten into a 6 man break, being drilled by Jake Rutletewski(?). He made it mega hard, practically sprinting up the climbs (why was this man not at Athens, or Saint Louis. He is on Rite Aid. But why not go to Brown County and kill some 1/2/3's and take their money... It's a living)

Anyway, I got pinched in hair pin ascent and didn't have the power to jump back up to the break, so I fell back and chased with Mike Sherer and some other guy who was just drilling. Well by lap 8, my legs had had enough and wanted no more climbing, but I had committed to finishing this race. So I did.

Bottomline, a 7th place finish, earned some money to cover entry fee. And maybe upgrade points?

Then JJ and I hustled back to get me to my final. Hit town at 5:25 and I was in the Student Building by 5:30. A miracle truly.

Anyway got up today, semi-studied, and went for a ride. Louise and Kirsten Ripped my legs off for 4 hours. Tomorrow's rest is going to be glorious.

Then after some studying, I headed out to give Jason the key to the garage back. We talked for a solid 2 and half hours.

I am tired, wanna sleep and have work in 7 hours

No comments: