Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What I have learned from this whole fiasco

I don't by any means consider myself a "worldly individual", a "philosopher" or any one who really has grounds to tell others how to live their lives... Example, this is the second time I have I should be dead. There really shouldn't be a time two. I have promised myself that there won't be a time three. But from all the bad, I know there has to be good and something that can be learned

This accident is not any different.
  1. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS Wear your helmet. I don't care about your hair, I don't care about the natural wind feeling, I don't care if it gives you funny tan lines, I don't care if other people make fun of you (if you're reading this you are very important to me and I need you around) let them get hit. A helmet has saved my life twice. I should be a poster boy for Bell, Giro, Lazer, whoever's paying. Suck it up and always wear your helmet. I will admit, they aren't super gnarls or chick getters (LIKE MY SCARS) but I'd rather you be alive than looking good on the hood of a car. Think of it this way, you're not getting made fun of for wearing a helmet, you're getting made fun of for riding a bike.
  2. People Matter and nurture those relationships. I was on a hot track to be a badass this year. I was honing everything, I was isolating myself and devoting myself to my training. Training was primary, everything else was secondary. And when I say everything I mean EVERYTHING - school, friends, family, girlfriends, work. Everything. Biggest mistake of my life. I was willing to sacrifice something that has been ripped away from me in a matter of seconds. Newest rule to live by: If it can be taken away from you in a matter of seconds it isn't that important. Don't get me wrong, I am going to go back to mountain biking and I'll race but I don't think I will be as absorbed as I was with road cycling (I will train and race and all that but not at the expense of others). This little accident has shown me that it's the people and the relationships that matter - people didn't visit me in the hospital cause I ride bikes, people visited me because they cared for me and my family. So the new lease on life is to welcome any and all relationships, and to build and improve the ones that already exist.
  3. As invincible as you are, you aren't. Enough Said
  4. Do something that has meaning to you. I'll admit I loved road biking, but it had begun to lose its meaning. Why did I ride? So I could race. Why should you ride? To have fun, to stay in shape, so you can have that milkshake at dinner tonight. It is so easy to find yourself stuck in a rut and doing the same thing you've done before, because it is the same thing you've done before. But do the stuff that matters to you, the stuff that you've always wanted to do. Example, I am changing gears to mountain biking - to stay in shape, to better match my life and I am taking up shooting. Why? Because it's something I've always wanted to do. It doesn't matter what you do - knit for all I care - do it because it brings you joy
  5. Hug your mother and your father. I don't care how old, how tough, how badass you are, you need your parents. And you can't hug them enough.
  6. Everything happens for a reason. I know, I know, it's so cliche, but seriously. Maybe this accident was to show me what's important in life, to teach me to slow down. Who knows, it's too early to see yet. But I know I will be better from this.
  7. Just because the doctor says it's ok, doesn't always mean it is. Don't get me wrong, and start questioning your doctors and medical professionals. I had fantastic doctors and nurses. But I did have MRIs and all that noise and I show no brain damage or anything on that scale. But I will be the first to tell you that I shook a few things loose. Don't worry I am not mentally handicapped or anything of that nature, but I am not firing on all four like I used to. I stumble for words, I just stare at walls, I zone out. Nothing major but I do have to retrain my brain. But again I am all grade A on the brain scans.
  8. Take nothing and I mean nothing for granted. Seriously
I know there's more and I'll add them as I discover and learn more. But for right now my focus is to get walking and healthy again, to focus on my marketing career and school work, and to make you matter.

No comments: