Sunday, December 27, 2009

Germany so far

For those of you just tuning in and a recap for those who have short memories, I decided to make the epic puddle jump and head over to Europe for Christmas with Bri.



Not a bad idea at all. But here are my impressions and experiences so far:
  1. I have missed Bri so much. I know, I know, no one ever says long distance is easy. But if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. RIGHT?! It's been surreal to have her back in my arms, waking up to her, and just being dumb with her. And it's so awful that that I have to give it all up for who knows how long in about 3 days. The one thing that amazes me though and gives hope for us to get through this and any peril is that regardless of the time, distance, etcetera, Bri and I are still, if not more into each other than ever before. But whatever, mushy mushy mushy - you don't care... MOVING ON!
  2. It is gorgeous here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean seriously it is. Totally different. You walk around Chicago, New York, Las Vegas, etcetera and there is constantly new construction of some sorts... New condos this, new buildings that. And I get that, by all means, job creation, better products, etc. But something about the fact that I am in Hamburg - one of Germany's big cities (think Chicago) and there are buildings dating back to the mid 1600s, still in use... WRAP YOUR BRAINS AROUND THAT!
  3. If you die, its your fault! besides just the city, the nature itself is mesmerizing. We spent 5 days in the Northern Alps - so lush, so green, so unprotected. Think of any national park in the U.S. - guard rails, tourist signs, benches, etc etc. here.... no guard rails - kinda a big middle finger to the insurance companies - "yeah it's dangerous, we don't care" - I dig it.
  4. Bri's host family is the GREATEST! Seriously, I have never been greeted with such hospitality and care from a host... much less someone I have never met in my life. The Millas - Jorg, Petra, Julia and Florin - are an amazing family. Jorg and Petra have been patient with me and Bri and given us our time to be on our own, while still maintaining the family interaction. They have been more than accommodating to my workout schedule and my diet. Jorg has taken me on several bike rides through the Hamburg countryside - which like I have said is absolutely gorgeous. The list is endless of how much I owe these people but it is simply summed up that they have treated me like a true member of the family - AWESOME!
That's really all I can come up with right now. Just got home from a theatrical production.... I just kind of looked around and watched people... occasionally listening to my ipod (rude I know, but what are going to do for two and a half hours.... To try it, get yourself a good foreign film with no subtitles, in a language you don't understand at all, and has no resemblance to any American film/book/theatre and watch it. See what you do after the first 30 - 45 minutes.




....




I'll wait



...


..

.
SEE! You are back at your laptop reading my blog.

But until next time, good night America, I'll see you soon.

No comments: